Sat, Feb 11|
Seeds of Carver Urban Farm
The Camp Journeys Family Cookout with Grillin 4 The People
Join us for a lunch and learn workshop with Chef Devon Hamilton, founder of Grillin For The People, for this family friendly event. We will learn the Black History behind BBQ, prepare skewers for the grill, and harvest herbs from the garden at Seeds of Carver.
Time & Location
Feb 11, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Seeds of Carver Urban Farm , 2319 2nd Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90018, USA
About the Event
This workshop will dive briefly into the history of American BBQ culture, and explore the many ways it’s changed from its origins to our current food system - for better and worse. Participants will engage in brief group discussions, demonstrations, and hands-on activities related to BBQ culture and tangible lessons around navigating our food system today.
Additionally, participants will explore the elements of the garden by participating in hand-ons activies related to all things gardening: Compost, Maintenance Harvesting, and Planting.
Learning Objectives / Takeaways
- To learn a brief history of BBQ culture in the US, and it’s Black/Indigenous roots
- To find similarities and gain appreciation for other cultures’ cuisines
- To learn how to read labels and purchase food responsibly
- To understand the personal/environmental impacts of high quality food vs. low quality
- To encourage them to explore more foods
- To safely handle food preparation
- To plant and harvest vegetables in a community - led garden.
What to Know:
- The event will take place outdoors in the garden. Hats, long pants, and sunscreen are suggested.
- One small lunch will be provided to each participant.
Camp Journeys Family Cookout$5.00Sale ended